Sunday, February 15, 2009

First foray into making Gyoh Hiong

My virgin attempt at making home-made gyoh hiong! Inspired by my granny who makes this on our yearly CNY gathering! I just *heart* my granny recipe!!

Last week, I finally managed to locate my nearest wet market and found the ingredients for gyoh hiong. Being so bloody free every weekend, I decided that I should spent Sunday with a cooking project. So last Sunday, I was busy chopping chopping and chopping the ingredients.

And of course the busybody T was hovering behind me trying to give instructions! I was so fed up and had to scream at him to get out of the kitchen.

And sadly after some confusions, I have to *ask* the chef to come and help out! I couldn't find my granny's recipe (which surprising surfaced today!) and had to use his Tor family recipe.




The BEFORE look.

Then after few futile attempts at wrapping up the gyoh hiong (and few arguments with T on how to do it) I decided to handover to the house chef who is more enthusiastic than me. In the end, my gyoh hiong turn out like this.



Taste is good considering is this my first try. At least it taste like gyoh hiong! Hohoho... I realised I didn't follow granny recipe quite closely. Shall try again next time.

My recipe for the gyoh hiong (More to T's family recipe)

200g Pork Mince Meat
1 Carrot Chop into pieces
6 Mushroom cut into pieces
1 Onion Chop

Seasoning
Five Spice Power (Alot alot of it to bring out the taste)
Pepper
Salt
Chicken Essence Power
Flour
1 Egg

and Beancurd Sheet. (wipe it with damp cloth to rid of the salty taste)

Method
Mixes all the ingredient together. And than leave it to breathe. Thereafter, take a spoonful of mix to deep fry, to check whether the taste is ok. If not, add the necessary seasoning until you are satisfied with the outcome.

Steam the gyoh hiong for about 10-15mins and then deep fry it later before serving.

1 comment:

Juschev said...

What about your granny's version of the recipe?