Friday, April 07, 2006

No where close to target

Most of us are worried about our future. I remember in my uni days, I hoped to achieve something great by the age of 35 or 40, if not at least somewhere along that line to achieving the goal. Looking back, those were the foolish and ambitious days where the sky the limit to us.

What, If you are nearing your 40s, never achieve great things (I would say reasonable position in your organisation, not condemn) and looks like you probably wouldn't in few years to come?

Quite sad really for my colleague T who is in this bleak situation. I would say it's the perception he has portrayed that landed himself in this. Everyone who I discussed about his performance isn't optimistic. Some commented things like his english is bad, no leadership qualities, has never proven himself etc. Guess it doesn't help that he reinforces and reminds us every opportunity available that he is a " condemn" case.

Recently, I am getting abit pissed with "condemn" case remark. I know he is trying to take it lightly and laughing it off, hoping for sympathy but didn't he realise that but being so, he is actually digging his own grave to bury himself and subject to ridicule by callous colleagues behind his back?

Maybe i should direct him to litep who often has good advice for corporate leadership?

My list of corporate tips on to do and do not.

1. Always "market" your strength. You never know when a special project will land on ur lap.
2. Down play your mistakes. Try not to let others know where you went wrong.
3. Dress smartly. It will inspire confidence in others.
4. Do not whine about no promotion. It looks like you are a loser.

Sad to say, man are always more "anxious" about their job them woman. After all, the social stigma is still there for man to "achieve" rather than woman.


***************

Oh by the way, I got all the signatures signed for my paper in just 1 morning time. An achievement since

1. It's a difficult paper because of the high contingency amount i am proposing
2. It's not a standard paper
3. No one has that record (3 signatures, read an approved in one morning)
4. The chairman of the paper is 20km away. (I drove and bang at his office refusing to leave until he signed the paper :p)

All in 4 hours time.

Did i say my paper is 8 pages long and have 6 Annexes ?

I am a hero today!

1 comment:

hsiao-yun said...

I totally agree. Why condemn yourself? Instead of being sympathetic, everyone will eventually be convinced you are as pathetic as you say you are. That's assuming it doesn't become a self-fulfilling prophecy.